It should be said that there is no shortage of antivirus software out there and by extension, no shortage of viruses. This is by no means a complete list of all available antivirus software out there, but it covers the major players
- Pros: Powerhouse when it comes to scanning.
- Cons: Takes a LONG time to complete scans
- Pros: Comes free with some ISPs
- Cons: Resource hog. Yearly subscription fee that if not paid, will cause the program not to update definitions
- Pros: Free for most protection. Requires no downloading of updates. From new virus detection to inoculation, system is protected in under two seconds
- Cons: Has a few paid features I’d like to see for free. Yearly subscription fee if you want them.
- Pros: Sometimes comes free with ISPs.
- Cons: Not as much of a resource hog as Norton, but not great either. Yearly subscription fee that if not paid, will cause the program not to update definitions
- Pros: Free online virus scanner (http://housecall.trendmicro.com)
- Cons: Sometimes misses viruses others find.
- Pros: Free (if you don’t mind a few advanced detectors)
- Cons: Bombards you with ad supported software on install.